Saturday, October 6, 2012

Bicycle Bicycle Race

I have a bicycle now so I am officially Danish, even though I can't speak the language.  It doesn't matter because I have a bike.  It has a little ding ding bell and a basket on the front that I decorated with flowers so that I would know mine from the ranks of bicycles.

 I took it with me to school today and then after classes, I went grocery shopping.  I had a bag full in my basket and a ton of weight in my back pack.  Then I rode/walked it up the hill to home.  I made it part way and then had to get off.  I had almost waited too long because my legs almost gave out when I got off.  I am definitely not used to bike riding anymore.

My lovely new bicycle.  She needs a name.
It seems that a bit of Danish is sinking in.  Actually, it seems to be happening at a faster rate than I expected, honestly.  I suppose that with 15 hrs a week of class and then all the homework, something is bound to happen.  I have been writing letters is Danish for assignments and I can actually do it.  It isn't perfect but it is readable.

Current weather: rain off and on and temperatures from 8˚C (46˚F) to 14˚C (57˚F).  I am most certainly not in Los Angeles anymore!

I remember the first time that I was sitting at home and heard what sounded like gun fire.  It went on and on for quite awhile.  I ran all kinds of scenarios through my head trying to figure out what it could possibly be.  I have a wooded area across the road and I am in the country so I thought that maybe it could be hunters but I couldn't imagine what they would be hunting as there is no wildlife here to speak of.  I even wondered if there was a slaughter house nearby.  I finally figured it out.  It is the military practicing.  We have a military base here in town and I have noticed that there are a lot of their vehicles that go down a road that is nearby and that the road turns in the direction of somewhere behind the woods.

This week there was a new machine, to me, used in the yard maintenance.  It was so loud that I had to look out my window to see what was going on.  I found the gardener pushing around this large machine.  After he made his second pass down the sidewalk with it, I realized that it was a machine to do the sweeping.  I can see the reason for it as we have a lot of sidewalk here that would take a long time to clean with an old-fashioned broom.  I think it is noisier than a leaf blower though.  He was wearing hearing protection while doing it.

A most serious broom.

No comments:

Post a Comment